On 25 Jan 2001, at 8:29, Shel Belinkoff wrote:

> A test for flare and image degradation by a light source just
> inside and just outside the frame seems like a good option.
> Since the sun could vary somewhat in  its intensity if I
> couldn't shoot everything at about the same time,  would an
> incandescent light source work as well, or should I try to get
> everything done at once using the sun as a light source?
>
> What might you recommend as a test subject?  Using something
> that doesn't move seems ideal, although a brick wall may not
> provide the sort of visible detail needed.
>
> Any other testing suggestions?

Hi Shel,

A simple filter flare test can be performed using a lamp fitted with a small
quartz halide globe and and most any SLR/lens and filters under test.

Filter in hand place it in front of and close to the lens (sans filter), point
the camera at the lamp whilst looking through the finder such that the lamp
creates flare in the finder, note the degree of flare or even commit the
offending article to film, swap filters and test again.

Cheers,

Rob Studdert
HURSTVILLE AUSTRALIA
Tel +61-2-9554-4110