Mike Johnston wrote:

> There's no reason why a custom lab can't
> do a good job with B&W processing,
> but you've got to work to set it up
> so that it will work. In other words,
> do some testing just as you would if
> you were processing it yourself--match
> the film and developer, ascertain at
> what speed the film has to be shot, etc.
> Talk to the lab owner. What you CAN'T do
> (IMO, as I hope I don't have to add) is
> simply drop off your regular film somewhere
> and hope that it will turn out the same
> as if you processed it at home. Aaron made
> that clear as well.

Just to be clear, I hope you're not suggesting that I simply
dropped off my film somewhere, for that's not the case.  I took
it to a lab I know,  was very specific about the speed at which
the film was shot, and double checked on the developer and
dilution that was to be used.  However, the negs still look like
crap.

My point (and yours is well taken) is that, once the film is out
of your hands, you no longer have control.  Yeah, maybe they did
use the right developer and dilution, but how precise were they
wrt temp control, did they process the film at the temp I
process mine, did they agitate like I agitate?  With B&W there
are so many variables, and no lab is able to consider them all
when processing your film.  Sometimes even the subject matter,
or the lighting of a scene, will affect how you decide to
process aa  roll - less agitation, more agitation, a little
longer or shorter in the developer, and so forth.

--
Shel Belinkoff
mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]