In a message dated 1/30/01 6:56:14 AM Eastern Standard Time, [EMAIL PROTECTED]
writes:

<<  It's a scary time for the industry, especially in the midst of an
 economic slowdown.   >>

The economic slowdown will stifle or kill the sales of $1,000 digitals big
time...probably $750 ones too.
A $500 PZ-1p or $350 Pentax autofocus kit will look good to a lot of people
in 9-10 months.

If the slowdown affects enough people (CNN cut loose 900 shirts) 70,000
others will have lost their jobs in January and other sectors of the economy
makes film stuff look good.
Those firms, with maybe KODAK being the exception, who are investing in
digital as the depression deepens will find themselves with their R&D costs
running out the bazoo, film will hold what it has and gain some back.

Then you have those folks who've bought digital and now that all those
digital bells and whistles are proving to be pains in the arse and costly in
materials and timewise, they will be the ones who'll come back to film first.
*There's nothing like sitting in your friends house while his daughters and
friends snap images with their digitals then go run squealing to the den to
download them on a big new DELL machine.
"How are you saving them, what are you saving them on, CD-R" I asked, "Huh,
SAVE them, whatever *for*?" they looked at me, as if I had just committed the
worst faux-pas imaginable.
"Don't they keep them?" I asked my friend. "Used to" he grimaced, "now...?"

Recessions dampen the enthusiasm for new toys. Whether this is a recession or
not, digital is about to get its comeuppance...from consumers who'll be sure
to keep enough resources to pay those sky-high electric bills. *Washington
State is raising their electric rates, following the raises in California.

Mafud
[EMAIL PROTECTED]
[EMAIL PROTECTED]
visit the Pentax Users' Gallery at http://pug.komkon.org.