On Wed, 31 Jan 2001 06:51:31 -0600, Mike Johnston
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wtrote:

> It annoys me when people call a 40mm "rare." They're not at all
> rare. They show up every month or two, and sometimes there are two
> or three on the auction board at once.

As I've said before, the pancake is actually pretty common. IIRC,
since I've been compiling the results of Ebay auctions of Pentax
lenses, the single most common lens (M 50mm f/2) is about 3.5 times
as common as the pancake. About two pancakes a week turn up on ebay,
whereas there's an M 50/2 every day.

They seem to go for around $150 plus-minus. If anybody wants exact
statistics, I can compute them.

There are far greater values to be had on ebay than the overpriced
pancake lens.

Later, Mark Roberts <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> replied:

> I'd bet that, other than maybe the 50/2.0 they're the single most
> commonly offered Pentax lens on eBay.

Sounds like a summary of my compilation might be of interest.

If you're wrong, btw, you owe me a jelly donut, my choice of flavour.

--
Rodger Whitlock
Victoria, British Columbia, Canada