Eric Lawton wrote:

> My gripe with e-bay (from a buyers perspective) is that the bid increments
> are so small.  I would rather see bid increments of ... say ... 10% of the
> current bid price.  I don't go to too many auctions, but I can't remember an
> auction where they would allow $1 bid increments on a $90 item (or $2.50
> increments on a $200 dollar item).  Raising the bid increments to more
> reasonable levels would promote early bids and eliminate a lot of the petty
> sniping that goes on ... and I don't think you would see any drop in prices.

The way to eliminate sniping is already known - some of the other on-line
auction houses already do it.  It's to make the auction behave like a
real auction, with no artificially-imposed last-bid deadlines.  Real
auctions have a 'going, going ... gone!' cycle after the last bid.
All you have to do is to guarantee some amount of time such as three
hours after the last bid before the auction closes.   That way any
attempt at 'sniping' in the last 30 seconds simply extends the whole
auction by three hours.

--
John Francis  [EMAIL PROTECTED]       Silicon Graphics, Inc.
(650)933-8295                        2011 N. Shoreline Blvd. MS 43U-991