"Chris Niesmertelny" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

>A hearty well-done for the work displayed on this month's PUG.  A heartier
>well-done to those folks that make it happen!  I raise a glass of Black &
>Tan to you all.
>
>My favorites this month, and only in the order they appear in the Gallery:
>
>Mark Roberts - Dinosaur Skin - well, actually this first one is probably my
>favorite.  The angle of the lighting, the pixel-like quality of the cells of
>plant tissue (whatever it's called).  It took my breath away when I first
>set eyes upon it.

Thanks to all who've complimented me on this shot.

I hope you won't mind if I indulge in a little explanation about
it:

First of all you might be surprised to learn it isn't a macro
shot: That leaf was well over a foot wide. Probably 16 inches or
so. It was backlit by the morning sun.

I have no idea what kind of plant it was but it was *huge*.
Certainly over 8 ft tall. It's on Granville Island in Vancouver,
Canada. A vaguely Skunk Cabbage-ish sort of thing. Monsterous. I
shot a whole roll of 35mm Ektachrome of it with the PZ-1p and a
roll of Ilford HP5+ 120 in the 645.

And that Pentax 100/2.8 macro lens is *sharp*, isn't it?

I've done a 7 x 10.5 print on my Epson 1270 that absolutely puts
the low-res web image to shame. I'm planning on getting a 12 x
18 print done for framing.
visit the Pentax Users' Gallery at http://pug.komkon.org.