Skip,

I do not have any experience with Tokina lenses but I use to own the
SMC Pentax-M 28mm f/2.8 and traded for a SMC Pentax-K 28mm f/3.5 (52mm
filter).  IMO, the K 28mm f/3.5 (though slower) performs much better
than the M 28mm f/2.8.

You may want to read BOA's Gallery: Pentax Equipment Reviews
http://home.att.net/~alnem/html/equipment_review.html

Regards,

--
Jose R. Rodriguez