on 2/2/01 7:30 PM, K.Takeshita at [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:

> I was checking Yodobashi's price which showed 18% discount, but they give 5%
> equivalent of "points".

I do not want to be too detailed just to confuse readers here, but if you
care to know, people like Yodobashi, who is one of the biggest retail
franchises, issue one of those "point card" which accumulate 5% for every
purchase you make.  This is their gimmick to make you a repeat customer.
But often, when you insist, or if you were a foreigner for whom those cards
are of no use, they do give further discount up to 5% (but with no pints of
course), if you pick a senior sales stuff.

But in general, in Japan, particularly in large stores, hard bargaining is
not a custom.  Many times, they get repelled.  What people think is a good
deal is just the result of sales staff operating within his allowable
margin, such as this point thing.

Nevertheless, Japan is such a camera paradise.  They have literally
everything and giant stores are concentrated in various urban centres.
Whenever I go to Japan for business, everybody knows that it is an excuse as
they know the first place I go would be those camera stores.
Only in Japan :-)

Cheers,

Ken

visit the Pentax Users' Gallery at http://pug.komkon.org.