-----Oprindelig meddelelse-----
Fra: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
[mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]]På; vegne af Sid Barras
Sendt: 5. februar 2001 06:24
Til: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Emne: Time to buy an enlarger! Got a suggestion?

Hi,
Well, I've done my research in this one horse town, and it don't look
good for getting my extra large prints done by a commercial lab locally.
(I've got a buyer for some of my black and white scenics, but she wants
very large prints: 24x30 and beyond from 35mm negs!)

I have the option of trying the negs done in color chemistry. And I will
have that done tomorrow, just as a test, to see how they do. The guy at
the lab didn't sound real hopeful.

Do any of you guys (and gals) have any experience with printing B & W
negs on color paper, and then in color soup? (we're talking about
extreme enlargements, too.)

So I think that after this little experiment fails, I'll be shopping for
an enlarger to do up to 24 x 30 or thereabouts in my soon to be expanded
darkroom. I have one of those Beseler "Cadets" right now, so I know I
need a real one for something like this.

The digital route still has merits, but my research and my instinct
tells me I should hold off on this until I've made a few sales and have
"spread myself around". By then I should (hopefully) be able to charge
the kinds of prices needed to cover the much higher cost of "going
digiital" (and getting archival quality output-- I just don't trust the
durability of dye sublimation and especially inkjet-- not yet) . Some of
the figures I was quoted were breath-taking. (or breath stopping,
actually)

So: I'm sure everyone here (almost) has a favorite, and why you like it.

I need it to be sturdy enough to get those very large prints I've been
talking about. I am  using a condenser version now, should I consider a
dichro or variable contrast head? (I'm almost certain I won't be doing
any color work, now or in the future)
Cost is a consideration, but since this machine will (fingers crossed
here) be a business investment, I want something reliable, robust, and
able to do big prints, from 35mm and med. format negs. Maybe a large
format camera is in my future?

I will rebuild my darkroom around this enlarger, so compactness or lack
thereof is not too much of a consideration.

Well, any suggestions?

Thanks, as always for excellent advice.

Sid