Recently Wieland Willker wrote:

> Ok, but what is this good for, why this extreme shift from 100mm to 60mm?
> I understand it is to improve image quality, but is this the only way
> possible? Why is it not utilized for the 50mm macro?

It seems that Pentax uses FREE only for lenses thta go to 1:1, and lenses
that are heavy and expensive.  The mechanics of such a lens seems much more
complicated.

The only explanation I can offer is that whenever someone asks about which
100 mm macro to get, people always suggest the A/F/FA 100/2.8 before they
think of the M/A 100/4.  It must be because of the image quality, or?

> So, when I want a REAL 100mm macro I have to buy the 200mm? Strange. What
> do I need the 100mm macro for when it is almost a 50mm in macro mode?

Wow, wow, wow, not so fast...  The A* 200/4 is also FREE, and is also
shorter as it is focused closer than infinity.  I do not know the number,
but maybe someone can do the experiments suggested here, and then we will
find out:

http://www.phred.org/pentax/k/FAQ/focalLength/

> I think, I miss something fundamental here.

Then it's time to believe...  Believe that a FREE lens will offer you a far
-superior quality between 1:2 and 1:1 magnification ratios than a
"standard" lens.  I guess here we are mostly talking about corner sharpness
and focus-plane flatness.

Cheers,
Boz