Mike,

I stand corrected.  (Is it really western Europe?)

I know Tito seemed to have some independence from the Soviet Union although he was a
communist and aligned with their block.  He preserved some independence because the
terrain was so difficult to conquor.

At the height of the cold war, we would have lumped him in with the rest of the Soviet
Block...as in 'kill all the commies and let God sort it out.'

Those were scarry times, especially for a kid who figured the H-bomb landing in
downtown Chicago had a kill radius that made practicing ducking under his at school a
kind of pointless effort.

Crispy critters we would have been...

Regards,  Bob S.

Mike wrote:
<< Bob wrote:

> My knowledge of western Europe is much better than
> my knowledge of eastern Europe.  When I was in
> school, eastern Europe was part of the 'Evil
> Empire', behind the 'Iron Curtain' and somewhere
> few folks traveled.

As Wheatfield Wille would say, "har!" Your knowledge of "western" Europe
isn't so hot either!

(I'm presuming you're joking here...the former Yugoslavia was never "behind the iron
curtain,"
and Reagan's fantasy "evil empire" was the Soviet
Union and its dominions--specifically, the Warsaw
Pact countries. Saying Tito was a Soviet pawn is
about as accurate as a European saying that
Castro is an American one.)

--Mike  >>