"Matamoros, Cesar A." wrote:

>         I have to reply to this one.
>
>         Being from NY and living away from there I have been subscribed to
> the NY Times for about two years now.  I have not had a single instance of
> receiving mail from their special advertisers.  Concerning 'cookies'  I
> delete them after every session as I do for all others.

My experience is like yours, Cesar.

I read the Times over the internet most days. I accept its cookie and do
not delete it, although I delete most cookies after each session.
(Cookie management software allows me to delete all but ones I designate
to keep.) The advantage of keeping the Times cookie is that without it
you have to log on with a password each visit, a PITA. Keeping the
cookie makes that unnecessary.

And the only e-mails I ever have gotten from the Times involve Times
things -- announcements of new features at the web site and the like,
and I never get any ads from Times advertisers.