Hi  Chris ...

Thanks for your comments.

> I find the contrast between the white
> trunks and branches of some of the trees
> and the rest of the trees themselves to
> be a little overpowering, but I'm not sure
> how much of that is the scan and how much
> is in the original.

I agree that the contrast is little more than I'd like, and if
there's a way to tone it down without upsetting some of the
other balances in the photo, I'd sure like to know about it.
I'm still playing around with contrast/brightness balances, and
clearly have a lot more to learn.

> Other than that, I find the rest of the
> photo to have quite a low contrast, which
> works well to set off the glowing white cross.

That's partly the result of waiting 45 minutes for the light to
be right, and partly adjusting contrast/brightness in Photoshop.

> What's with the yellow leaves on the 'flower'
> in the foreground?  The three on the left look
> darker and more out of focus than the others,
> and yet the blue flower on the right seems
> mostly in focus and it looks further back.
> Am I imagining that?

The yellow flower was spinning when I snapped the shutter.  The
petals are of the type that catch the wind and the whole flower
rotates.  If you look carefully at all the leaves, you'll notice
a softness about them due to their movement.  While I notice the
subtle (to my eyes on my monitor) difference in color as you
noted, I can't say for sure why that  is.  Perhaps it's just the
way the light is falling on the petals.

I used a 200mm lens for this shot, and tried to keep the DOF
relatively shallow, and since I was focusing on the cross, it's
possible that surrounding items are showing greater or lesser
sharpness because of the shallow DOF.

Thanks a lot, Chris.

Shel Belinkoff
mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]