[EMAIL PROTECTED] writes:

<< ot a free roll of fresh Kodak Supra 100 from the local photo profiteer
today.  So now what?>>

Sniff its bouquet, smell of the softness, at the same time, explore its
amazing sharpness (hands-down favorite of the scanning class).

<<What can I expect from it?>>

A crisp palette of muted colors and an astonishingly sharp film with sharp
lenses re: the 85mm f/1.8.

<<How does it compare to Reala?  Are the colors punchy or more natural?>>

I don't know..I've never had a hankering to shoot Reala. But I would guess
the Supra is softer, the muted but true colors mistaken for "less punchy."

<<Is it a contrasty film, or more subdued?>> Since I can't compare Supra
against the Fuji Mark, I'd be disingenuous making the comparison.

<<How's the grain?  Tight and sharp?>>

Very fine, very tight and sharp, produces amazing 16 x 20 enlargements (with
the understanding you've done your job: as in using your shapest lens). When
you do, you'll gasp!

<<Good for portraits?>>

Decidedly, even more so than my old favorite EKTAPRESS.

<<Scenics?>>

Decidedly so-so, especially if you've become accustomed to the sometimes
"false" (punched up) "enhanced"color of many Fuji print emulsions.

<<Any comments would be appreciated.>>

Supra, either 100 or 800, will become one of your out the door bag favorites,
the film you'll take along when you happen upon a soft venue and want to
faithfully reproduce the moment and truly accurate photos when the
opportunity presents itself, especially when you want top capture the moment
when the venue offers softness like in a hushed Colorado fall when the Aspen
colors are at their subtle best. Supra (And B&W) may be the only print film
to bwe able to do justice to an ice-over stream.
THAT'S when you'll grab for the Supra, or when a fair lady of porcelain skin
appears, her visage literally begging for the Supra.
*Definitely not a film to capture the brilliance of a lit Christmas tree but
a favorite when fog is lifting from an early morning valley.
In tonal range, it's the B&W of color emulsions without a ton od dodging and
burning.
Do you want rust to look like real rust instead of a spray painted movie set?
Supra. Do you want the faint pink of a woman's lips in winter? Supra.

As you probably noticed, I kinda like them.

Suda Mafud,
a member of the http://www.Africana.com online community
[EMAIL PROTECTED]
[EMAIL PROTECTED]