On 1 Feb 2001, at 21:31, Jose Rodriguez wrote:

> Hi Everyone,
>
> I have an LX in excellent cosmetic condition except that a very small
> portion of the leatherette on the back cover is coming loose.  Nothing
> major, but it does bother me.  I was wondering if anyone knows what glue
> or rubber cement (brand?) repair technicians use to glue it back into
> place?

Hi Jose,

Sorry for my late reply, my ISP had mail problems and I am getting
messages from 1/2/2001 even today. The leatherette on several of the LX
that I owned has peeled at the back, it seems that it becomes saturated with
skin oils and then the adhesive turns jelly like, not pleasant. Methylated
spirits (methyl/ethyl? alcohol) will clean the old adhesive. You can then use
a thin sheet of double sided tape (the stuff without foam :-) or a rubber type of
contact adhesive. The problem is though that the oils seem to be retained in
the leatherette and it will come unstuck again eventually.

I have purchased a set of new leatherette panels for the LX, they are available
however the replacing the back piece poses a problem. The plastic film
memo holder is plastic welded to the metal back, so you have to trash it as
well. Maybe the best option is simply to replace the back.

You can check my page for further information at:

http://www.ozemail.com.au/~distudio/lxproblems.html

Cheers,

Rob Studdert
HURSTVILLE AUSTRALIA