On my PZ-1p, the IR (red) projector is a small round (clear looking) lens
built in to the flash's lens. It projects a series of 3 to 5 vertical
bars that give the AF something with vertical edges. It's automatic when
the AF cannot see and the pop up (RTF) flash is in the up position.

If you are using the AF500FTZ flash (and I assume the new AF650FTZ) with
the RTF down, the 500 will light up the subject for you with a much more
powerful red grid. You can also use the flash for only that purpose in
low light that you want to keep natural. Set the 500FTZ to "SB," which is
NOT "Stand By" as I thought for a few years. It's "Spot Beam." Gotta read
those manuals, darn it!

With some trepidation, aimcompute opined on 02/12/2001 10:53:

>Actually there is an AF assist beam in the body.  At least that's where it
>physically appears to be located.  I don't understand exactly how it works
>other than when the flash is up, and I'm in very low light, a red LED turns
>on.  I can actually see it on the subject I'm photographing.  I assume the
>AF uses this small additional amount of light to achieve focus.
>
>Sure someone will give a more detailed explanation.
>
>Tom C.

JoMac, Imagineer with Camera