[EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:

> In a message dated 2/15/01 7:16:48 PM Eastern Standard Time,
> [EMAIL PROTECTED] writes:
>
> << Could that be the FA*250-600/5.6? Yummy... >>
>
> Oh no, I've shot ~that~ one. I get to shoot it every Spring during Polo
> matches [Chukkas]. One of the first of the 250-600 models, this one is still
> an impressive piece of glass and covers a 900 x 300 foot Polo field with
> ease.
> Yeah, "Yummy!"
>
> PENTAX produces the absolute ideal Polo lens, their 135-600 f/6.7. If they
> make that one an f/5.6 autofocus I'd be happy! The 135-600 is also a great
> auto/horse race/air show lens, or any venue where you need serious distance
> and don't absolutely need autofocus.

The 250-600 works pretty well for auto racing;  I haven't tried it at
an air show yet.  There's not a lot of Polo around here, either. It's
too much lens for a typical showjumping ring, although I expect it
would work quite well for eventing.  Can't wait to try it on an MZ-S;
that will give the autofocus motor a fairly good workout!

Yummy, indeed.   Especially if you get a good deal on a used one.
But the case is too large for most airline carryon baggage rules.
So you get stuck with unpleasant choices - leave it at home, risk
it in checked baggage, or buy it a seat ticket (if your airline is
amenable to that option).

I've considered shipping it to myself overnight delivery, but I've
never actually done that.

--
John Francis  [EMAIL PROTECTED]       Silicon Graphics, Inc.
(650)933-8295                        2011 N. Shoreline Blvd. MS 43U-991