In a message dated 2/16/01 7:36:46 AM Eastern Standard Time,
[EMAIL PROTECTED] writes:

<< [snip]
   I was reacting to a NASA claim to Ziess's multi coating technology.>>

What is unsavory to some is the way America, in seeking ways to defend
itself, supported (money, technically, surreptitiously) scientific research.
I don't know the Ziess/NASA story, but NASA did and has ~funded~research in
optics, scientific and military.  You probably know the story that VIVITAR
was picked by NASA to build a zoom lens [reputedly designed] by NASA for
America's astronauts. What coin we might place on the story, the lens, the
VIVITAR 70-210 f/3.5 (constant) true MACRO (focuses down to 9.85 inches from
the film plane! to the front element at 70mm!), whether in 62mm filter or
67mm, the 70-210 [NASA] ~is~ a superior lens by any standard. Whether it's a
space tale about NASA's involvement or truth, the lens exists. But again,
America has spent hundreds of millions on optics, re: orbiting satellites
that can read name tags on a uniform! being just one of their
accomplishments, the Hubbell project being another project ostensibly for
research but one would suspect for real world spying.
I would ~not~ put it past the United States to have funded coating research
with Ziess, again for "National Defense."

<<My comments were actually intended to be slightly more tongue in cheek than
you actually took them. I also wasnt trying to find or quote an "ethical
outrage
 against humanity".>>

I only wanted to point out that the US (read: Europeans) have lied about
nearly everything which might place them in an unfavorable light vis-a-vis
the truth.

<<So if anyone else wants to jump down my throat - sorry in advance - I
suppose I did start it.>>

Nope, no "throat jumping" intended here. I went off on a tangent to draw the
correlation between the actual truth and the lies nations tell, for whatever
reason.

Mafud
[EMAIL PROTECTED]
[EMAIL PROTECTED]