I majored in American History at my university.  One thing
I learned there is history can be scientific and academic
research, while it has the risk to easily become propaganda
and demagogy.

"Truth" is only one thing, but there are many "facts"
around it.  You can get the "facts", while drop some
intentionally, and then you can make up "history" you like!!

In that sense, "true" corporate history, as Mike pointed
out, is really difficult to exit.

At any rate, it's not only Americans who rewrite or make up
"history".  I can point out at least ten in Japan<sigh>.

Sincerely,