In a message dated 2/17/01 6:15:48 AM Eastern Standard Time, [EMAIL PROTECTED]
writes:

<<
 Is the hood that comes with the lens an effective hood?  Or do
 we need to find a larger, deeper one than that? >>

Only HAMA steel hoods from Germany seem to be deep enough. My recent purchase
of a 67mm HAMA hood cost $62* but it does screw into your lens filter
threads. As it is also threaded throughout, so mounting a polarizer or
whatever on the rear or front threads is possible.
Nearly 2" deep, only pointing it at the sun or directly at a light source
will introduce ~stray~ or ambient light onto my front element.
*I know, I know~ that's expensive, but the lens cost me $1,200.

Mafud
[EMAIL PROTECTED]
[EMAIL PROTECTED]