on 2/17/01 12:07 PM, Shel Belinkoff at [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:

>> And in the ZX5N (besides not being
>> able to choose the AF sensor), the
>> outer AF brackets are only sensitive
>> to horizontal lines so in the portrait
>> position, they don't see the eyeball well.
>
> That's good to know. Since the MZ-3 is essentially a 5n, I
> suppose the AF is the same for both  cameras.  I'd been thinking
> about a '3, but will now wait to see what the MZ-S is like.

Hi Shel,

I'm not sure about this.  I have an MZ-3 and it has a switch to toggle
between wide area focus (3 points) and spot focus (centre sensor).  I do not
know about MZ-5n as I do not have it but I suppose it would be the same.
The area of the spot focus sensor is about the same as the spot metering
area.  In a typical head & shoulder situation, the spot focus area might
cover both eyes, but for the stationary portraiture, you have no problem in
focusing dead on eyes.  I never experienced tracking the eye area of moving
people.

Cheers,

Ken