Hi,

At 20 Feb 2001 17:20:17 -0500,
"K.Takeshita" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote;

> I like the sound of Nihon but at some point, I think the Japanese government
> adopted "Nippon" as the formal pronunciation of Japan in Japanese (reasoning
> that Nihon sounds rather weak ! and difficult to pronounce by some people
> :-).  But people tend to say "Nihon-Go" rather than "Nippon-Go" (both are
> right), so it all depends, I guess.

We Japanese usually use Kanji characters to describe this word.
It's also problem even for us how to read the word, because each
Kanji character has severeal readings.

BTW, we tend to prounounce the word as "Nippan", I guess.
And we tend to pronounce the word as "Nihon" when some kind
of suffix follows the word like "Nihon-kai" sea or "Nihon-go".

This is just my understanding.
Hope this helps.
--
Yoshihiko Takinami