Michael,

Having used 360's extensively, the mode you are probably referring to
is P-TTL where a pre-flash for measurements is taken.  In practice it
looks like one really long flash rather than two short ones.

I have not really noticed an excessive amount of shut eyes due to
blinking on hundreds of pictures taken.  Two differences - 1) I have
used an MZ-S.  I don't know if the delay between pre-flash and main
flash is longer with your camera or not.  I would not suspect it to
be.  2) I don't normally shoot with flash in as dim a light as you are
indicating.  This may have more to do with it.  The dimmer the light,
the longer the flash duration will be.  This would give people more
opportunity to blink.  Also the slower the film and more stopped down
the longer the duration.

A simple test would be to use those variables, plus compare P-TTL to
TTL and see if you notice any difference.

Just a few thoughts.

Bruce