As a photography novice, I am not convinced one system is significantly better than
another.

In fact, I've gathered -- sort of by osmosis -- that the emphasis is:

Nikon - professional camera bodies (stury, reliable)
Canon - technology (autofocus, digital)
Pentax - lenses

Anyway, I'd go Canon for the autofocus. Older now, and nearsighted, that makes sense
to me.

I will probably go digital in a couple of years and switching to Canon then. A diverse
company that also does other types of technology (copiers, printers, etc.) is probably
going to do digital better, on the whole. Besides I really like what they have now
(just too pricey). But that's why it's a good idea to wait for a year or two (and
that's why they invented ebay).

Doe aka Marnie ;-)