Graywolf,

"Should be sharper looking and have a far smoother tonality" - indeed. Why
should this be so?And how are you going to see this on an image an inch
square in the middle of a piece of film of 80 square inches? Better to cut
off 79 square inches, don't you think, so you can get it on your microscope
stage? Yes? But why not do this *first*, before exposure and not waste all
that emulsion and those expensive chemicals?

Your answers are not answers at all - just unsubstantiated opinion. And
you've added a comment that is probably meant to be facetious - on a thread
that is actually quite serious. If you really believe you can get a better
picture on a bigger piece of film, just because its bigger, then all you
need is a little simple arithmetic. Forget the mathematics. Now please just
tell us why you think this 'should' be so. And leave out the sarcasm - its
silly.

I know the same sized image on 8 x 10 film made with a Rodenstock or
Schneider lens will be *less sharp* than one from a good 50 or 100 mm macro
or even a standard lens with tubes, unless a rather expensive process lens
is used on the view camera. It is unlikely to be better - unless we compare
a crappy system with a good one. It will show whatever 'tonality', smooth or
otherwise, the lens, film, lighting and processing will impart. And remember
you would need to keep that big piece of film flat as well. I found this
impossible to achieve in my laboratory without a vacuum back.

Don

Dr E D F Williams

http://personal.inet.fi/cool/don.williams
Author's Web Site and Photo Gallery