> This really turned me on to the idea of large contact prints.
> Even though the negatives were close to 120 years old, and on a
> nitrate substrate that wasn't optically perfect (and quite
> dangerous to work with), the prints had detail and tonality that
> would be next to impossible to match even today with a small
> format negative.

Enablers,
Hear Ye, Hear Ye! Now comes Brother WILLIAM ROBB before us, who needs
enabling to buy an 8x10 view camera! Brothers, address your reasonings and
rationalizings to Brother WILLIAM, doing your best to convince him of the
beauty of the 8x10 image and its importance in his life!

* * *

Seriously, I've maintained for years that ultimate photographic quality
hasn't improved in a hundred years or more. What's improved is convenience,
speed, capability. There are some Woodburytypes in the Smithsonian, and I
have some platinum prints in my own collection (c. 1905) that are at least
as beautiful as any photographic prints I've seen anywhere made in the past
ten years. If anyone has seen an original print of Edward Weston's nautilus
shell, or an original print by Darius and Tabitha Kinsey, or a pre-war Ansel
Adams print, or a really good albumen print...the list goes on and on...it
quickly becomes apparent that for pure print quality, it's quite possible
we've gone backwards, but we certainly haven't gone forwards. Equipment is
more portable, more automated, faster and easier to use, and specialized
equipment makes it possible to photograph more things. Processes are less
involved and easier to master. But print quality has not improved.

Same goes for color. Not until some of the best digital inkjet prints I've
seen very recently have I seen any color print as beautiful as a good dye
transfer.

I should try to look up for you an old article I wrote called "The Cheapest
Possible Darkroom"...it makes the case that contact printing 8x10 is the
cheapest and simplest way to print.

--Mike

[ NOTE: I don't have time to read every PDML digest and may not see every
message posted. If you have a message or response you'd like me to  see,
please copy my personal e-mail address. Thanks! ]