I have a 24"x30" basketball picture (Lakers and Spurs) hanging on my wall in my
office.  It was shot with Tri-X rated at 1600 and developed in Acufine.  Most
people are amazed it came from a 35mm neg.  When I was making a living off
photography, I used Tri-X a lot.  I rated it at 400 in D76 and 1600 in Acufine.
 It is a very versatile combination and covered a lot of bases.  I have tried
UFG and Diafine over the years, but D76 and Acufine always gave me results I
could depend on.

On Thu, 22 Feb 2001, you wrote:
> Mike wrote....
>
> >Which ones exactly did you try, and what were your results? Have you run
> any
> >further trials to follow up on your first results? I'd be interested to
> >hear
>
> We had UFG, Acufine and Diafine at school and I wanted to see if they were
> still good as they had been there for a while and someone was getting ready
> to toss them. I mixed them all up and shot a roll of Agfa APX 100. I set my
> ASA rating at 160 and bracketed. One of the developers called for 200 ASA,
> but the other two said to rate the film at 160. Anyway, I cut the film into
> thirds and developed them and they all look about the same on the contact
> sheet. At this point I was only interested to see if they were still good
> and let some of the other instructors know of their availability. I also
> have Agfa 100 that I've developed in Rodinal and Xtol and I will check
> these when I get a chance, but it's going to be a while.
>
> I then decided to develop the roll of T-Max 3200 I had in the UFG, and so
> far, I've only made contacts because I'm printing for a show and just don't
> have the time to print anything else. None of these shots fit into the
> theme. So if any of you intrepid souls wants to give some of these a shot,
> be my guest. I also tried Ethol T.E.C. once upon a time (don't remember
> with which film) and it seems if I remember right, you have to be very
> careful with agitation. I think it is also a divided developer,
> compensating,  with set development times and it may be panthermic, meaning
> temperature is not that critical to the development process. I think you
> can place dissimilar films in at the same time too. It seems like you rate
> Tri-X at 1600 or something like that. And again, their claims are that you
> are not really pushing the film and don't have results like you would
> expect from rating your film higher than normal.
>
> Anyway, I hope this helps someone or sparks some interest or discussion.
> Jim
> -
Kenneth Archer + San Antonio, Texas
[EMAIL PROTECTED]   ICQ #24980801