This sounds like an intriguing argument meant for discussion around a hearth
and with brandy.

On the other hand, many whose work we admire have gone before us in the
arts. It's natural to ask the question, "What makes this or that piece
different from work we find mundane?" No one is saying this is simple and
that it leads to simple, never to be disobeyed rules, but many of us would
like to improve ourselves. I've heard it said, "Well, just go out and snap
more photos!" Perhaps, but not all of us have an innate sense of composition
or if we do are able to draw on it for our own creativity. In all other
disciplines, whether it be dance, music, archery, painting, architecture,
etc. Studying under masters and adhering to initial basic rules, at least at
first has always proved most beneficial.

As regards mathematics being a tool of interpretation, and having no
validity other than that which we impart to them, consider a binary number
system. Either you exist or you don't, Chris. What sort of validity should
we impart to your existence?

As I said, this is all very philosophical and requires brandy, or at least a
consultation with the Reverend Jack Daniels.

Regards,
Bob....
"Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy!"
   - Benjamin Franklin