Geez, Bill,

That sounds like a comment I'd make!  Surely there's only room for one
self-deprecating slob on this list. <vbg>

However, your little joke (much like yesterday's Kelvinator Kwote) sets me off
on a tangent.

The first thing is, taking a good shot is lucky, but it's not.  I'm not sure
what dying soldier we're referring to in this thread, but my guess is that
it's likely Capa's Death of a Loyalist Soldier - but that doesn't matter.  How
much of what we photograph (especially, but not always, action shots) is
~anticipation~?  How many of us have been taking photos for years or decades?
Surely we use that experience to try to anticipate what's going to happen a
split second after we depress the shutter release.

Does it always work?  Obviously not.  But I'd wager that it works more often
for the experienced than the tyro.  Could Capa have known that the soldier he
was aiming his camera at was about to be shot?  Probably not, but on some gut
level, who knows what Capa felt or anticipated.  (I'll ignore the fact that
maybe we're ~not~ talking about that photo - I am!  I'll also not speculate on
whether the shot was real or a staged fake)

It may feel like luck, and sometimes it may be, but I'd like to think that
most good photographers make their luck, by knowing where to be, by knowing
where to point their camera, and by ~feeling~ when to press the button.

The last comment comes thanks to a list member who has (off-list) exhorted me
to stop berating my abilities - something I tend to do when I'm among people
whose talents I'm in awe of (ie: many on this list!).

So, my New Years resolution is to repeat the mantra:  I'm a good photographer,
I'm a good person, and ~people like me~!  -  until I actually believe it.
<vbg>

cheers,
frank

--
"The optimist thinks this is the best of all possible worlds. The pessimist
fears it is true." -J. Robert