Thanks for you help.  At this point, it does not
appear that any of those things are happening.  So,
can I leave it alone, and save myself some $?
If you mean the form, replace it while you can. By the time it was broken into pieces, you might have a tough time to clean them off the camera.

I was also giving some thought to purchasing one of
those seal kits on eBay.  I was wondering if anyone
else out there has replaced the mirror bumper on an
MX, and just how easy or difficult the job is?
If you mean the form near the screen, mine was replace with... well... the light seal for the P50 back. It was a rectangular form and I just cut 2 pieces which works well. It should also be a lot cheaper than buying a form kit. You might contact Pentax service department and see if they have the form for P50 back (not exactly demanding so they should have). Mind you that you don't need the exact shape of the original form, something like the Z-1p will do (but remember don't block the screen "tip"). The form also come with self-adhesive. To do the job, you need a rigid tweezer.

regards,
Alan Chan