"Mike Johnston" writes:
>I seem to remember from my distant childhood that new programs came out in
the
>fall and early winter, and reruns were for the late winter and spring. Have
>things changed since then?

        Yes.  The rules are all different as the networks struggle with the fact that
their product is of low quality, viewers are jaded and the market is past
saturation.  Long holiday hiatuses have become commonplace.  Summertime
series started a few years back.  There's even shows that start in the middle
of what was traditionally the season (basically, any time the network thinks
they have a untried show that will perform better).  New series often get a
6-episode contract as a trial run, and if it does well, then they have to
hustle everybody together to try to throw together a few more shows before
the viewers get bored with their reruns and the network decides to try
something else in that slot.
        Of course, the _viewers'_ rules have gotten simpler.  Don't try to seek out
the good shows, just wait until they sound interesting around the watercooler
at work.  That way, you won't be bored when they start showing reruns of the
episodes you missed while having a life :-)

later,
patbob ([EMAIL PROTECTED])