Finally, I've got myself a film scanner.

Minolta Dimage Scan Speed F-2800.

A photographer friend, who upgraded to some recent Nikon model,
trusted me enough to let me pay it - what's the word for  it? - "in
parts" till summer.

I installed it last night and am trying to learn how to use the
software -"Dimage Scan Speed".
Most of my previous experience of film scanners is from using a
Polaroid scanner at one of the papers I've been working for.

It seems usable enough but I can't say that I am totally impressed by
the software (at least I hope it's mostly due to the software.)
There is a distinct lack of "juice" in the "default" setting. Each
scan seems to require a lot of tweaking to get it right. The prescan
usually comes off sort of as "underexposed" with a general tendency
towards green, and a lack of contrast and saturation.
Would this be a typical case for the "Vuescan" software that
everyone's raving about?

I would very much like to get some comments on this film scanner from
those of you who use(d) it, or have a general great knowledge of
filmscanners.

There seem to be no "film profiles" - like calibrations to various
makes of films.
Does anybody know how to conveniently set up one's own?

Also, the situation was such that I didn't really have the option to
thoroughly check out the current market, quality and price.
What would be a fair second hand price for this scanner today?
(It seems to be in at least good condition, (there was a scsi-card
included) and according to my friend it hasn't been used too
extensively.)

Thanks,
Lasse