I prefer a tablet to a mouse or trackball, but if you do use a mouse I suggest you get an optical mouse rather than the ball.
I have the Logitech Marble FX too and it is fine for photo editing. It is better than mouse inho. The reason is that you can roll the ball until you are happy with the position, then click. With mouse, the position might be altered for every click. However, tablet should be better, as long as you don't use Wacom Graphire series where the resolution is too low. Get the Intuos instead.

regards,
Alan Chan