Robert Harris wrote:

> Keith:
>
> I don't know what English chimney pots look like, except for a couple of
> examples seen at that link posted earlier. so I can't say if there are
> any in the US.
>
> But thinking back, my last house (owned 30 years ago) did have something
> on one of the chimneys to keep things out. Hard to describe -- It was a
> large aluminum thing shaped like an upended acorn, vented so that the
> wind would turn it. It did effectively keep out rain, birds, etc. I only
> remember this because I had to climb up on the roof once to lubricate it
> at the place where it rotated -- it  started squealing in high winds.
> (Never heard a sound from the other two chimneys so never had to go up
> and look at them, but they must have has something too.)
>
> Is that some sort of chimney pot? Don't know. :)

Those are freely rotating wind turbines. The wind turns them, which in
turn draws the hot air out of the high places inside the building.
I have a powered one on my free-standing garage, to keep my shop
cooler in the summer time.
I also have two mechanical (unpowered) ones on my house roof, one to
keep the attic cooler in the hot summer (it helps!) and one that
directly exhausts the high peaked ceiling of my living room.
Coupled with ceiling fans in the bedroom and living room, it does keep
things more moderate in the summer.

> At any event, if I were looking for a photo project I think I would
> rather do a series on chamber pots. They also come in many sizes and
> shapes, and the work can be done indoors. :)

Ahhh yes. Thunder mugs!

keith