I've been looking around a bit more at flashes.  The real world has hit me
pretty hard so I'm not in a hurry to buy anything, but I want  to have
some idea what I'm looking for when I get that straightened out.

Some flashes have TTL modes but no manual mode.  What exactly does that
mean to have no manual mode?  It won't work on a K1000?  There's no way to
turn off TTL metering when used with my ZX-L, even if I have the camera in
manual mode?  I fear that sometimes light reflected from foreground
objects will throw off the exposure, and manual mode would be best then.