If I don't want to see such perspective distortion in a photo, I
would have to shoot with, say, a 50mm (or longer) lens.

Fred

I think it is difficult to tell if the camera was level for the photo of
the pool. I used to pack around a Texas Leica-Fuji GSW690 with 65mm lens
(about equal to a 28mm on a 35mm camera). Unless I used a bubble level
perspective convergence would appear in the image. I still keep a bubble
level in my bag for WA shots from a tripod with any camera. I took a Brooks
Veriwide 100 degree MF camera to Turkey last Summer it had a built in
level. Too bad it jammed up on the second roll!

A ground glass with a square grid really helps to adjust an slr in many
situations. You can move the camera up and down and find level from the
buildings in a scene.

Bill Lawlor