on 27.01.03 17:39, Bruce Rubenstein at [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:

> I suppose I should also point out that Nikon fires a pre flash  prior to
> the actual flash exposure so it can meter the reflected light of the
> flash from the subject. The metering is also tied to the active AF
> sensor. In my experience with slide film, it deals very well with an off
> center subject that is against a very dark background.

I am not sure if flash metering is tied to active AF point. In fact "3D
Multi-Sensor Balanced Fill-Flash" is based on off-the curtain 5-segment
metering
(http://www.nikon-image.com/eng/FeatureGuide/features2.html#3D_Multi) and
thus cannot be linked to active AF point.
Available light exposure metering is indeed tied to active AF point, just
like in MZ-S and all Canon and Minolta SLRs, and this proves to work very
well in multi AF points cameras.

--
Best Regards
Sylwek