All this talk about "The Women of PDML" and female photogs in general
has reminded me of someone, but I can't remember her name.

I've only heard of her once.  I believe she was English, and about 100
or 110 years ago, as a young single lady (maybe 20), she obtained a
great huge view camera (I guess that's all they had then <g>), and
travelled the world.  She took incredible photos, all the more amazing
due to the fact that she had to cart all her equipment around, including
all the plates and everything else.

Upon her return to England, she displayed her photos, to much critical
and popular acclaim.

Then, she disappeared.  Seems that no one knows what happened to her,
whether she got married and changed her name, or died, or just left the
country and never came back.  Whatever the case may be, I believe her
work remains, and that's it.

Anyone know her name?  She was mentioned in a PBS special a year or two
ago...

thanks,
frank

--
"The optimist thinks this is the best of all possible worlds. The
pessimist fears it is true." -J. Robert