You can partition an empty disk, up until the point that there is no
'unpartitioned' space on it anymore.  Without an add on tool like
partition magic, you cannot change the size of a partition once it has
been set up.  Your C drive was presumably formatted with a single
partition fillinf the whole disk.  DO NOT use the format option on the C
drive, because the only way XP can format the disk as standard is to
wipe it!!