I've been thinking about chemistry.

Long ago I developed, not from first principles, but from old formulae, a
physical developer for Holograms. The idea was that if one developed the
plate with a developer that could enhance the actual interference pattern on
the plate by giving it a physical structure, it could be used as a master to
make metal replicas for pressing white light Holograms. It worked and we
were able to make very good impressions in various kinds of plastic from
nickel replicas of the Holographic plates. This was a quite different
process to that used now which utilises a photo resist. The developer, to
start with, had a dozen components. Slowly, but surely, I reduced them and
finally ended with two solutions with only four components - they were mixed
1:1 for use.
By the way, the resolution obtained was 750- 850 lines per mm.

I think the same will happen with this new black coating process. It will be
further developed and simplified until it becomes a marketable product. Two
solutions (perhaps) one to coat, the other to treat the surface. It will
never be cheap.

Dr E D F Williams
http://personal.inet.fi/cool/don.williams
Author's Web Site and Photo Gallery