On 13 Feb 2003 at 20:07, Steve Pearson wrote:

> Also, how does it hold up to moisture?  It looks like
> it is not one of Lowepro's "AW" models?  Do they use
> the same material as the "AW" models?  What is the
> difference-maybe just that the "AW" models come with
> an all-weather cover for nasty weather?

As others have said the AW version has an additional all weather cover, like an
integrated rain coat that can be pulled out and over the pack should you be
subjected to a torrential downpour.

And just to rehash previous posts of mine I said:

"For my money the Lowepro gear is worth the cash, the back pack seem to fit
pretty well and they're tough, I've ended up on my butt a few times and scraped
it pretty badly and it's come through well. Also I always clean my gear after a
grubby excursion and the first thing is a good swamping under the hose, if the
zips are down up I can give it a drenching before it's wet inside and mine
isn't even an AW, so I'd expect that they'd perform as advertised."

And an extract from a post October 2001:

"Some listers may recall that I made requests to the list (some months ago)
regarding peoples preferences for back-pack style bags, by far the most popular
bags seemed to be the LowePro series (they have a daunting array of models and
combinations).

So whilst in NYC I checked out B&H (It's gotta be the biggest, busiest photo-
shop in the world). There they had virtually the full array of LowePro cases as
well as many others, there is generally one of each model on the shelf to poke
prod and otherwise cast your eyes over. Unfortunately I could find potential
uses for nearly all the range but finally decided on the Mini-Trekker. I also
bought a bucket load of Tamrac QR straps which are now handing off most of my
hard cases and bodies (excepting the LX of course since the strap lug system on
it is the best of any 35mm slr IMHO).

The Mini-Trekker has a very comfortable harness and an integrated tripod
support in the form of an up-side-down external pocket. It is normally held in
place by Velcro can be flapped down to hold the tripod feet and in the middle
and at the pop of the case there are elastic cables with QR clips which hold
the mid section and top of the tripod firmly. The pack (which weighs in empty
at about 1.1kg) weighed just over 10kg fully packed but remained quite
comfortable to lug about for extended periods.

The pack contained a MF system including 3 lenses + hoods,  a 35mm
system including 2 bodies, a motor drive and 4 lenses + hoods, light meter, two
finders, table-top tripod, flash light, cable releases, many spare batteries,
Lenspen, Sharpie marker pen, ball-point pen, small note-pad, ID card, up to 50
rolls of 135 and 120 film and occasionally my full sized tripod with ball
head."

Cheers,

Rob Studdert
HURSTVILLE AUSTRALIA