Rob,

It is my understanding (I could be wrong) that D-SLR's don't have the
ability to preview the image the way a digicam does.  The reason is
because of the SLR design (mirror box, pentaprism).  So the LCD can
only show you post shooting and settings.  Kind of makes a swiveling
screen rather useless - except easier to break.

Bruce