I still think they could come up with something much better than "*ist". By the way, giving this camera a cutesy name rather than a letter/number ID is a sure sign that this is an entry to mid level unit. I can't think of any manufacturer that hasn't given an upper level camera a letter/number name.

DG

At 10:53 AM 2/19/03 -0600, you wrote:
> the *ist ( what idiot within the bowels of
> Pentax came up with that horrible name?)

Oh, I don't know, I kind of like it. It's distinctive. It's a lot better
than yet one more anonymous alphanumeric mishmash, like DF-20K or 5XL-P.
Personally, I've been in the photo industry for years and I've written
camera reviews for a living, yet I still get all the anonymous names of
cheap SLRs mixed up--especially when the same camera has different names is
the U.S. and the rest of the world. At least with the *ist all of us know
exactly what we're talking about. And I wonder if we'd be talking about it
quite so much if it had a more anonymous name.

Another thing I hate is when a camera with a plain and distinctive name does
so well that the company begins applying some variation of the name to a
whole bunch of other cameras. The name "Stylus," for instance, long ago lost
all meaning, at least in my mind.

--Mike