Hi Mark,
Since I don't have a Mz-S, I am just brainstorming.  Batteries would
surely lose power after 45 minutes in those temperatures.  I would
guess that could really slow the shutter down a lot.  That would
account for the overexposure you experienced.  I know it did on my old
cloth focal-plane shutters in the Colorado mountains.  I would keep an
extra set of batteries in an inside pocket and switch them out often if
I were you.  But then again, what do I know about that kind of cold.
We cry when it gets down into the 20s here.  ;-)
Ken

--
Ken Archer Canine Photography
San Antonio, Texas