--- "Gary L. Murphy" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> Paul Franklin Stregevsky wrote:
>
> >This sounds like the rationale that many use to
> illegally copy software:
> >"Bill Gates is rich enough." Hey, I'm a PayPal
> Business member. I became one
> >in order to be able to accept payments from
> overseas. I don't like giving
> >PayPal 3% of my selling price, but those are the
> rules I agreed to.
> >
> Not at all. Any merchant that takes "plastic" has
> included that cost in
> the price of their goods or services. Maybe I'm
> drawing a blank, but I
> don't see your comparision....
>
> Later,
> Gary
_______________________________________
 Not always true. The "cost of doing business" is
factored in for sure, but never 3%, which is usury on
its face. Some small (small) retailers/wholesalers may
do as you suggest.
*No matter what eBay charges me, I've previously
agreed to accept those terms. I'm mystified as to how
or why I can or should, in good conscience, pass that
fee along on an item I no longer want or need? The
Internet is where I do business and since the IRS lets
me deduct any and all "legitimate" fees, charges and
expenses from my income taxes, at minimum it's at
least a wash.

But your statement infers that I or Sears or Walmart
raise prices in anticipation that the item will be
sold to credit card holders or people who buy with
checks or money orders. No corporation uses that kind
of reasoning in their sales strategies.
Besides, for corporations, or people like myself doing
D/B/A business, and unlike individuals who do business
as individuals (ala eBay) and are not companies (for
IRS purposes), any fees the company incurs as the cost
of doing business or any charges or fees by anyone for
whatever reason-are whole dollar deductible.
So why would any legitimate merchant charge the
purchaser fees for what they will take off anyway?

The most usury part of doing business on the Internet
or off television “informerical” programs is the
outrageous S&H fees being charged. That’s the real
rip-off.
*Like the guy selling computer training. He offers
“Free” computer lessons on CDs, lessons that
ostensibly cost $60 or more, for just the cost of S&H.
What’s the S&H to the client? $6.95 for a CD!
No matter how many people ask for the S&H refund, he’s
still banking tens of thousands of dollars a month.
And since S&H is covered under IRS rules regarding
“the cost of doing business”, his (and others) profits
from S&H charges amount to hundreds of millions every
year.
*A CD in a protective mailer costs me less than $1.50
to mail first class.
Even if I factored in 100% more as the "cost of doing
business", if I charged the same shipping and handling
fee as the "Video Professor", I'd be knocking down
$3.95 per CD!
What a rip-off!

=====

Matt Greene