On Monday, February 24, 2003, at 04:52 PM, Lawrence Kwan wrote:

On Mon, 24 Feb 2003, Dan Scott wrote:
I hear ya, but as it's the only 5MP P&S Pentax has mentioned, fair or
not, it's the only Pentax I can compare to the other 5MP digicams. :-(

But you forgot Pentax has a *5X* optical zoom vs Sony's 4x. You really cannot compare camera with different zoom range.

Sure I can. I did it in the message you quoted.

Plus, while the Canon G3 dwarfs Pentax Optio 550, the new Sony DSC-V1
"is" in the same petite ballpark—though the Pentax is still a little
smaller:

Actually, Sony is almost 55% larger than Optio 550! Not insignificant at all.

I didn't say insignificant, I just said "a little smaller". For me, 3/10 of an inch in height and 6/10 of an inch in depth is well within "pocketable" for me. Sure, your pockets might be smaller than mine, and I can see that a relatively small difference in width and height for me might make it or break it for you.

Likewise, the 5x vs. 4x isn't a big seller for me. I usually shoot in the 24mm-135mm range, so the Optio reaching out to an equivalent 185mm isn't that big a plus for me (the longer the lens, the greater the magnification of my tremor). What is a draw for me is the night shot ability, the long exposure capability, and the accessory hot shoe. The Sony's ability to take 52mm filters as well as the option of an accessory wide-angle lens is frosting on the cake.

Of course, at this point all of this is comparing marketing to marketing—and we know Pentax's marketing/advertising skills leave a lot to be desired.

Anywho, I'm looking forward to seeing reports and sample images from all the usual reviewers.

Dan Scott