On 27 Feb 2003 at 0:26, Mike Johnston wrote:

> > Don't count on ISO 50 - if this is the same chip as the D100 slowest
> > ISO is 200.  But I believe it does go to 1600.
>

> That's not chip-dependent, that's circuitry-dependent, I'm pretty sure.

It's both, the chip has inherent noise as do the amplifiers and analogue to
digital convertors. The combination of sensitivity, noise performance and
saturation of these primary system elements control the minimum ISO, the
maximum acceptable ISO and the dynamic range of the system. Post digitisation
processing can mask inherent physical constraints but doesn't eliminate them.

Rob Studdert
HURSTVILLE AUSTRALIA
Tel +61-2-9554-4110
UTC(GMT)  +10 Hours