> > Not really.  The fact that the 50 has a field of view more like a 75 is
> > created by cropping, not optical zooming.  In effect, the
> > less-than-24x36 image sensor size means that there's a permanently
> > enabled digital zoom feature on the camera.
> >
> > All you're doing is cropping.  The perspective-flattening effects of
> > longer optics aren't going to come into play (or will they?  maybe I'm
> > the confused one).

This is explained in one of Ansel's books (The Camera?).  A lens of a given
focal length projects an image of the same size regardless of film format.
For example, if a 300mm lens on a 4x5 camera projects a subject 1 inch high
on the film, then a 300mm lens on a 35mm camera will project the same
subject 1 inch high.  The difference being that of course on the 4x5 it
would take up only about 1/4 of the film, while on 35mm it would be nearly
full frame.

Bill