Mike Johnston <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

>I really beg to differ. This would not be dumb at all, it would be SMART.
>Canon and Nikon have already started doing it (Canon's digital-only lenses
>are expected at this PMA or in Japan). One of the MAJOR advantages of
>digital is that you can get high quality out of a smaller-than-35mm sensor,

In terms of capture area, it makes no difference whether it's film or a
digital sensor: A larger area allows higher resolution form a given
lens.

It's the same principle as the difference between 35mm and 645 or APS
and 35mm. Now for your style of shooting - generally not making large
prints - the smaller format is acceptable, but the greater resolution
possible with a larger capture area is important to those of us who like
to make large prints.

>and this in turn paves the way for smaller, lighter, faster lenses. There's
>no reason to be forced to buy a telephoto that covers 35mm when you're
>trying to do nature and wildlife work with a DSLR like the *ist D;

That's true. And that's what sub-size sensors are good for.

>there's no reason to have to bear the expense, size, and slow speed of what
>for 35mm is super-wide-angle, when all you need to cover is the smaller
>sensor of the *ist D.

As long as you don't need the resolution required for large prints.

>I will be surprised and disappointed if Pentax doesn't follow through with
>at least a limited series of lenses specifically for the *ist D.

Perhaps, but there are many people who will be disappointed if they
don't move toward a full-frame DSLR like Canon, Kodak and soon Nikon.
There are certainly a lot of us who'll be royally p*ist off if our huge
investment in glass (including my 15mm f/3.5) is made obsolete or
irrelevant; that is, if we have to have two different lenses to serve
the same purpose on a DSLR and a film SLR. Not everyone is going to
*abandon* film for digital. Many of us plan on using both...if it's
possible/practical. Canon has made this possible with the EOS 1Ds (while
also demonstrating the superior quality possible with a larger sensor).

>This is exactly what is needed in digital photography, not the continued
>application f vestigial technology that's clearly on the way out.

I side with Michael Reichmann on this one.

--
Mark Roberts
Photography and writing