----- Original Message -----
From: "Nick Zentena"
Subject: Re: Soft Lenses

> On March 2, 2003 12:21 am, Rob Studdert wrote:
> > On 1 Mar 2003 at 22:23, J. C. O'Connell wrote:
> > > soft focus lenses as well as shift lenses are obsolete
> > > due to photoshop IMHO.
> >
> > Of course in the case of emulating an 11mm shift in photoshop from a
full
> > frame 35mm film scan would mean that a significant portion of the
original
> > un-shifted image would become unusable/redundant, the compromises must
be
> > tolerable for your statement to have any relevance.
> >

> Obviously I'm missing something but I'll ask anyways. How is it possible
> shift after the picture is taken? Isn't that just cropping? Or do people
glue
> two pictures to make one?

You can play with perspective in Photoshop, but it is an extremely
inefficient use of pixels. In Rob's example, an 11mm shift would take a 6x7
image down to about the same area as a 35mm frame. In JCO's example of using
a 4x5, the concept of doing it in Photoshop is not valid, since view cameras
have lens movements built in.
Well actually, you could still do it, but it would be bad camera operation
forcing you into it.
A lot of people figure they can fix anything in Photoshop, so consequently,
they don't bother applying any skills to the picture taking.

William Robb